Friday, June 27, 2014

Les Entrées, Part VI, The Rehab Series

       
Fresh, warm asparagus with sauce mousseline.
          Most of the entrées I've had in rehab have been quick, simple and simply delicious.  But the weekend is approaching and I thought perhaps you might like a more complicated recipe.

          If you love asparagus, you will swoon for asperges sauce mousseline.  Divine is the first word that comes to mind when I think about this elegant, sophisticated appetizer. "Challenge" is another qualifier.
The controversy rages in France: Which is better, more delicate, more delicious, more coveted -- white or green asparagus? Most French people I know vote for the white. I love the green.
        The easy part:  peel and blanch your asparagus for approximately four minutes, adjust your time depending upon their size -- less tends to be more -- then quickly drain and submerge in a bowl of icy water to stop the cooking. You'll want them to be slightly warm. (If you prefer green asparagus, a pinch of baking soda in the boiling water will keep the color bright and clear -- not a greyish green.)

         Now, you can make it easy on yourself if you prefer to stop now. All you have to do is serve the  asparagus with your homemade vinaigrette or melted butter, salt and lemon juice. That's the "I'm not in the mood for a challenge" way out.



        If you yearn for compliments and an unforgettable entrée, may I suggest you take the time and make the effort to "whip up" a sauce mousseline. I've discovered there are many variations on the sauce, even some light versions, but I've tried this one and it is truly won-der-ful.

       Basically you're starting with that oh, so tricky Hollandaise sauce -- until you add the whipped cream. . . but I'm getting ahead of myself.



       My Favorite Sauce Mousseline Recipe:

3 large egg yolks
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Tbs. water
1/4 tsp. salt (or to taste)
Freshly ground white pepper
1 stick butter, melted

Place the egg yolks, lemon juice, water and salt into a food processor. Blend for about two minutes.

Then, with the machine still running, add the hot melted butter drop-by-drop ever so slowly. By the time your have added about 2/3s of the better you should have a creamy, thick sauce. Continue to add the remaining butter, but skim all the white residue from the liquid. Add the white pepper.

Now you have a Hollandaise.

Just add whipped cream.
To turn your sauce into a mousseline, whip four fluid ounces of whipping cream into stiff peaks.


Again, slowly, carefully fold the whipped cream into the Hollandaise et voila (!), you have a sauce mousseline (and undeniably one of the most deliciously decadent versions that exist).

        If you're ever wondering how to dazzle dinner guests, you now have the recipe.  

15 comments:

Young at Heart said...

am now very hungry....and have just had breakfast!!

Glamour Drops said...

I absolutely adore asparagus - white or green. But the funny thing is, our cat is completely addicted to when in season - in fact, if we say "asparagus" out loud he will come running, and has been known to get inside the shopping baskets in an attempt to steal the tips before they are even offered.

So heaven help us with your delicious version - there may not be any left for the cat!

Anonymous said...

I wish you all the best with your rehabilitation! I really like your series you have thanks to your "health spa".
Greetings from Jana

Tish Jett said...

I now realize I should have mentioned the lighter version of sauce mousseline which is considerably less rich, but absolutely delectable.

Instead of the decadent whipping cream, use the three whites left over from the yolks and whip them into stiff peaks. Then, ever so delicately fold them into the Hollandaise sauce.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Thanks for the recipe...I love asparagus! I would have to go with the lighter version as well. Hope rehab is making good progress!

Jan W. said...

Sounds divine! How far ahead can the sauce be prepared? I'm not very adept at last minute preparation when entertaining. I try to do as much ahead of time as possible.

Karena Albert said...

Tish asparagus is a favorite and now I can really make it a Wow thanks to your mousseline recipe!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

Georgia said...

My goodness, I didn't think there could be anything better than asparagus with Hollandaise! Off to the market.

Sally said...

Hello Tish
How is the poorly knee? I do hope its a bit better, I have been thinking of you.. rehab physio et tout' suite, back to the dancefloor you will go.. I hope so

My gosh I have been on such a diet this week trying to get into summer outfit for the races....now your yummy recipe appears.
Would you be able to tell me how much approximately is a 'stick' of butter.
and I will make this for dinner guests next week
Thank you and get well, love to you x

Sally said...

PS. I spend lots of time in Italy and have emailed my pals to tell them to buy 'sempre chic' as soon as it arrives! x

D. A. Wolf said...

This looks (and sounds) divine.

Tish Jett said...

Please believe me when I tell you, I am not a great cook. I've learned a few tricks and fall back on them when it comes to dinner parties.

That is my preamble to "assuming" that a Hollandaise can be made the day before a dinner party, but I'm certain that the whipped cream or egg whites must be made and folded into the Hollandaise on the day of the dinner. I'm also quite sure that no matter how the "look" or consistency of the sauce mousseline, no one will really notice anything other than how unbelievably delicious it is and everyone will think you're brilliant.

Now, for a stick of butter:

It is 1/4 pound, 1/2 cup, 8 Tbs, four ounces or about 113 grams.

Sally, you are so sweet to recommend my book in Italian to your friends. Thank you so much. Rizzoli has promised to send me a couple of copies. I can't wait to see it.

In fact, the rights have been sold to six countries to date and I'm thinking what fun it will be to see them lined up on a shelf in my office, each with a different cover and translation.

Eleanorjane said...

Yum! I do love asparagus. I haven't tried the white version, but it seems like it wouldn't have as many vitamins and minerals as the green?

Thanks to those who explained a 'stick' of butter. That's not a measurement we get in England.

Sally said...

Its my pleasure to recommend your book Tish, I know the Italian girls will love it, and such a credit to you for it to be published and sold around the world.
Auguri cara Tish,
and thank you for the 4oz of butter,completing the recipe for the mousseline...I am hoping for raptures at dinner this week :)) x

tozca sudirman said...

I am greatly weighed down by your opinions for that specific tale. A additional deeper and staged expertise could well be very fine for me
davia leather
new game kids
toko jaket kulit murah di garut
jaket kulit asli domba
jaket kulit jakarta
jaket kulit

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...