Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Les Entrées: Part III, The Rehab Series

       
Simple and simply delicious cucumber salad. I make mine without the skin.
          One of the best things about summer is the abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables. In my little corner of the rehab world, the kitchen is taking advantage of the season's bounty.

          These entrées are so quick and easy to prepare that it would be a shame not to make them your first course. Except for some slicing and dicing they are literally the perfect solution for those of us who feel lazy when the temperatures rise.

          And though they're all almost calorie free (in the grand scheme of things), they still do the trick. They slow us down and help us eat much less as we move through the meal.

           I have many, many more appetizers to tell you about in my rehab series. These come under the three minute preparation category:


           A wedge of cantaloupe.

A refreshing bowl of honeydew melon.
           A small bowl with yummy chunks of honeydew melon.

Sesame seeds sprinkled on a simple cucumber salad gives it an unexpected twist.
           Paper thin slices of cucumber with your own vinaigrette* and sprinkled with sesame seeds.


           One-half of a ruby red grapefruit. In this case, it would be considerate if you cut around all the juicy triangles so the fruit slips out easily while at table.

          I've had all of these appetisers since I've been here. More tomorrow.

Your homemade, all natural ingredients, vinaigrette.
* You know the classic low-cal recipe:

One measure of vinegar (or lemon if you prefer or a combo) or a melange of vinegars
Two measures of oil (olive oil or two different types of oil)
One measure of water

Mustard, salt and herbs to taste if you desire.

Whisk like crazy to mix the oil and water.

19 comments:

Rose said...

I'm loving this sharing of your clinic experience Tish. I have exactly the same dressing combination except the measure of water . Really? Water in dressing?

Hope you are making good progress.

Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tish Jett said...

Every time I write about "my" low-cal vinaigrette, I forget to mention that if you use sparkling water the emulsion has better cohesion.

I tend to use regular water at home, but when I remember the sparkling water does make a difference.

I promise you, you will not notice the fact you have a vinaigrette-lite.

une femme said...

I add one part Dijon mustard to my vinaigrette too. It acts as an emulsifier and keeps oil and vinegar/lemon juice/water from separating.

une femme said...

Tish, last week it was the radishes, and now your lovely picture has me craving cucumbers!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

These posts are making me hungry!
Your vinaigrette is quite similar to mine and it is so easy to make...I've never tried using sparkling water but think I will from now on as I always have Perrier in the house...I buy it by the case.

Deborah said...

Hi Tish, I have been following your rehab with great interest as I also will soon be facing my own post-knee replacement rehab. Wish that I could be looking forward to the same delicious meals & excellent post-operative care. I am sorry that I didn't know about the compression hosiery when I was in Paris last year! I always learn something new from you. Please keep the info coming & all the best to you!

dianespainting said...

I cannot tell you enough how much I am enjoying your Rehab series. The info is exactly what I have been looking for and I am implementing your suggestions for an appetizer in my daily meals.
Best wishes with your recovery, Diane in Canada.

Emm said...

I didn't know about adding water to a vinaigrette. I'll try it.

This information is so useful, many thanks.

NotesFromAbroad said...

I don't eat meat and I am lucky that I love vegetables just sauteed with some seasoning .. but lately I have been loving the veggies served with couscous.
Seasoned or plain, with olives and whatever .. it is delicious and so good for you.

Emm said...

Oh, and as for adding mustard to a vinaigrette -- I add a bit of powdered mustard, plus bit of powdered turmeric, which works against inflammation in the body.

It adds a nice, subtle edge of taste. Not too much, though, you don't want an orange salad.

Rose said...

Well I tried it, the water works for anyone who hasn't tried this! I am quite stunned. We have excellent mains water here but I will try the sparkling water that Tish mentioned too.

peggybraswell said...

sparkling water! + I must try it for the vinaigrette.xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

Anonymous said...

Surely your next book should be a cookery book ! Very useful ideas here, I grow lots of my own vegetables and am always looking for new ideas. Thanks and get well soon.

Lorrie said...

Wonderful inside info on French living. Who knew a rehab center could be such a mine for the French lifestyle? I'll be trying the measure of water in my vinaigrette.

Jacqui said...

What's on the thinly sliced cucumbers? Are they tossed in a vinaigrette or is it something else? also it looks as if something is sprinkled on them?

Tish Jett said...

The cucumbers are dressed with a simple vinaigrette and sprinkled with sesame seeds.

tozca sudirman said...

I am greatly weighed down by your opinions for that specific tale. A additional deeper and staged expertise could well be very fine for me
davia leather
new game kids
toko jaket kulit murah di garut
jaket kulit asli domba
jaket kulit jakarta
jaket kulit

Swan said...

Love the recipes and have made the carrot salad and the cucumber salad. Perfect for the summer menu with visiting family.
Thank you tish,
Swan - Now Living in France

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...